The early Gothic town chapel of St. Georg was built directly next to the town wall in 1323. As a subsidiary church, it was subordinated to the Kloster Wedinghausen monastery. The adjacent watchtower already assumed the role of a church tower at an early stage.
There is no doubt that the first town chapel already existed before 1173. Until that time, it was a subsidiary congregation to the original parish in Hüsten. After that, the Premonstratensians from the Wedinghausen abbey were responsible for pastoral care in the town. Today's building originates from 1323. It was built in the style of an early Gothic hall church. The vestry was added in 1730.
Today’s interior furnishings originate almost wholly from the end of the 17th century, and are entirely in the Baroque style. The new furnishings were necessary as a replacement after the iconoclasm under Gebhard Truchsess in 1583. As well as the main altar by Master Johann Brune from Menden of 1692, the landed estates of the Duchy of Westphalia in 1668 and the mayor Johan von Bilefeldt donated additional altars.