The first of the five nature reserves is the "Mittagsbrüche", a large wet meadow complex, adjoined by small areas of arable land. Next comes the relatively small "Wendequellgebiet", which forms a kind of stepping stone on the way to the "Wiehbruch" Nature Reserve. Passing the Dörnschlade Chapel of pilgrimage, you come to the Großmicketal Nature Reserve. Finally, there is the Biggetal Nature Reserve with its wide floodplain in which the river is largely free to develop as it will.
Tips and hintsYou really should visit the Wendener Hütte Museum.
Getting thereCar park at Rathaus Wenden (Wenden town hall):
Address for satnavs: Hauptstraße 75, 57482 Wenden
GPS (UTM): 32 U 420832, 5647108
Google coordinates: 50.970138, 7.872479
Car park at blast furnace museum Wendener Hütte:
Address for satnavs: Hochhofenstraße 6, 57482 Wenden
GPS (UTM): 32 U 417721 5647237
Google coordinates: 50.970834, 7.828167
ParkingThe best starting point for a bike tour is the car park in the floodplain of the Wendebach stream, directly below the Wenden town hall. You can also park your car at the blast furnace museum "Wendener Hütte" but parking space is limited there.
EquipmentSince there are hardly any paths that provide access to the grasslands, it is definitely worth taking a pair of binoculars to observe the bird life from the cycle track.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.