Located between the rivers Möhne and Ruhr, the Arnsberg Forest Nature Reserve forms part of the Arnsberg Forest Nature Park. Beech and Spruce trees dominate the hillsides while sparse Alder and Oak forests accompany the streams.
Distance 6.7 km
The circular trail "Neuhaus" takes you to the restored Heve stream. At various points you come right to the water and can find insect larvae and freshwater shrimps. On your hike, you have a good chance to hear the calls of Black Woodpecker and Raven. The flowery roadsides attract numerous insects, such as the Silver-washed Fritillary. Various species of dragon- and damselfly flit along the stream in search of food.
Update: September 14, 2016
Tips and hintsThere is a leaflet "Entlang von Heve und großer Schmalenau" which describes the route. This can be obtained in the Gaststätten "Tackenberg" and "Schürmann" or you can download it at www.life-bachtaeler.de. You can enjoy an impressive view over the Arnsberg Forest from the Möhneturm tower or from the Lörmecke-Turm, which is located between Warstein and Meschede.
Getting thereFrom the B 229 trunk road between Möhnesee and Breitenbruch, turn off in the direction of Neuhaus. Shortly after the town entrance sign of Neuhaus, the car park "An der Heve/Neuhaus" is situated opposite the restaurant "Tackeberg". This is the starting point of the circular route "Neuhaus".
Address for satnavs: Neuhaus, 59519 Neuhaus (Möhnesee)
GPS (UTM): Neuhaus: 32 U 441293, 5700832
Google coordinates: Neuhaus: 51.455620, 8.155050
ParkingCar park "An der Heve/Neuhaus"
32U 441249 5700803
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view