The Luer Forest with Bieber Valley is a FFH area and nature reserve covering an area of more than 25 square kilometres with extensive near-natural Beech and Oak dominated mixed forests on acidic soils. Numerous forest streams cross the area, and finally flow into the Bieber Stream.
Distance 5 km
The typical birds of the Luer Forest are species of near-natural woodland. With a little luck you can hear the drumming of a Black Woodpecker or the harsh voice of the Raven. While Middle Spotted Woodpecker is another typical inhabitant of the forest, the Grey-headed Woodpecker forages for its food in the meadows of the floodplain. There, along the Bieber Bach, you can also observe the Kingfisher, while the waters are home to such demanding species as the Crested Newt and the Bullhead.
The Stag Beetle is only to be found at a few locations in the Sauerland. The imposing beetle needs old, sunlit Oaks in open woodlands, such as the Luer Forest.
Update: September 14, 2016
Getting thereAddress for satnavs: Bieberstraße (L 537) intersection Retringer Weg, 59757 Arnsberg
GPS (UTM): 32 U 422972, 5698000
Google coordinates: 51.427959, 7.892019
ParkingWanderparkplatz (hiking car park) at the Bieberstraße (L 537) opposite the junction with the street "Retringer Weg"
32U 422943 5697993
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view