You can get an idea of the havoc wreaked by Storm Kyrill in January 2007 by walking along the "Kyrillpfad". Not far from here is the source of the Eder, which was renatured in 1991. The area below the Eder source consists of low moorland. A plank walkway enables you to go dry-footed a short way into the Birch swamp forest here. In the patchy shade of the trees, plant species that tolerate wet and acidic soils thrive, including various ferns and cotton grasses, Wood Horsetail and Woodrush.
The forests are the habitat of numerous woodpeckers, such as the Black and Grey-headed Woodpeckers, as well as various species of owl, such as Tengmalm's Owl and Pygmy Owl.
The centre point of the District of Siegen-Wittgenstein is located in the area and is marked by a boulder.
Safety informationkeine Angabe
Tips and hintsWaldinformationszentrum (forest information centre) at Forsthaus Hohenroth with adjoining game enclosure and Café: www.waldland-hohenroth.de
Getting thereComing from Netphen-Walpersdorf, drive the L 719 road, then proceed towards Benfe on the L 720 and at the crest turn left onto the L 722. Coming from Hilchenbach-Lützel, take the L 722 until you reach the Wanderparkplatz (hiking car park) opposite the entrance to the Forsthaus "Hohenroth".
Address for satnavs: Kohlenstraße, 57250 Netphen
GPS (UTM): 32 U 443800, 5642514
Google coordinates: 50.931143, 8.197819
ParkingWanderparkplatz opposite the entrance to Forsthaus "Hohenroth".
Further car parks along the Eisenstraße.
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentSturdy footwear is recommended
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.