In the damp and sometimes wet meadows of the valley, such rare flowering plants as the Globeflower and Great Burnet thrive. The Dusky Large Blue, a highly endangered butterfly species, is absolutely dependent on the Great Burnet. The rough pastures are ideal locations for orchids and the inconspicuous Moonwort, a small species of fern. The bushes in these locations provide perfect breeding places for Red-backed Shrikes and Whitethroats.
The different forest types of the area harbour large stands of Monkshood and early blooming flowers like the Hollowroot Birthwort and the Yellow Anemone. The breeding birds of the forests include Hazel Hen, Red Kite and various woodpecker species. Along the stream, you can with luck observe the Kingfisher fishing.
Safety informationkeine Angabe
Tips and hintsA leaflet describing the area can be downloaded from www.biologische-station-siegen-wittgenstein.de.
Getting thereIn Oberdresselndorf turn off the Liebenscheider Straße into Westerwaldstraße and follow it to the Wanderparkplatz (hiking car park) "Buchenborn/Hickengrund".
Address for satnavs: Westerwaldstraße 182A, 57299 Oberdresselndorf (Burbach)
GPS (UTM): 32 U 438492, 5616861
Google coordinates: 50.702626, 8.130392
ParkingAt the Wanderparkplatz "Buchenborn/Hickengrund " near the village of Oberdresselndorf.
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentSturdy footwear is recommended.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.